'Open access woodland site managed by the Forestry Commission. It is situated on the edge of the Chilterns escarpment and is a great place to take the family, with lots of trails, a cafe, children's adventure playground, a fitness trail.'
'Circular route around the county town of Aylesbury, never very far from the town but mostly in quiet and peaceful rural countryside.'
'Trail cutting across 27 parishes and provides one of the most ambitious projects in Aylesbury Vale to promote outdoor activity. The path links together sections of the rights of way network to give access to this forgotten forest.'
(There is an alternative Link in the Route Maps of the Website's 'Walks and Rides' section - but with minimal details.)
'Buckingham Railway Walk is a section of disused trackbed that has had the station and track removed, with a path laid down its length. The walk is between the A421 southern bypass and the Tingewick road in Buckingham, covering a distance of 1.36km. It can be joined from either of these roads, or from Chandros road. Grid reference SP693334. The walk forms part of the Buckingham Circular Walk covering a distance of around 4km.'
Circular Walk around Buckingham [Buckinghamshire County Council]
'Unique among long distance tracks because it can claim to be "the oldest road in Britain". Extending from Ivinghoe Beacon in Buckinghamshire to Knettishall Heath in Norfolk, it consists of prehistoric pathways, ancient when the Romans came. Dotted with archaeological remains, it survives as splendid tracks and green lanes along the chalk "spine" of England.'
'Crossing six counties, the Icknield Way Trail is a 170 mile (274 km) route linking the Peddars Way National Trail in Suffolk with the Ridgeway National Trail in Buckinghamshire, which in turn links with the Wessex Ridgeway.'
'The Walk takes in the villages of Addington, Adstock, Padbury, Hillesden, Middle Claydon, Botolph Claydon, Quainton, North Marston and East Claydon to reach Addington again and retrace to the finish. The route's highest point at over 500ft is near Woad and Quainton Hills.'
The John Schorne Peregrination Michael Mooney [John Merrill Walk Guides, 2009]
'Marsh Gibbon, although located in Aylesbury Vale in Buckinghamshire, lies close to the border with Oxfordshire. It is situated to the north of the A41 Aylesbury to Bicester road, approximately four miles to the east of Bicester. It has a population of just over nine hundred. It was traditionally a farming village, but in recent years the number of active farms has decreased and many of the people living in the village now work in places such as Bicester, Aylesbury, Oxford, Milton Keynes and some even commute to London.'
'Follows the River Great Ouse between Buckingham and Milton Keynes.'
'Walking route along the higher ground around the outside of the original Aylesbury Ring to produce a walk with goods views through pleasant countryside and passing through many of our delightful villages and towns.'
The Trail 'can be joined from either Westcott, Waddesdon or Quainton. Discover the history of this rural area and its traditional links with the Railways'.
The Tramway Trail (Calke Abbey, Derby) [National Trust]
'A steady climb of a little more than 300 feet (100 metres) in the first part of the walk, a couple of short sections of it quite steep. One steep descent (with easier alternative routes).'
'A 6 mile canalside walk with facilities for wheelchair users and pushchairs and a series of circular walks based on the Wendover Arm.'
'Walk starting at Prestwood and visiting Little Hampton, Hampdenleaf Wood, Dunsmore, High Scrubbs, Coombe Hill, Bacombe Hill, Wendover, part of the Grand Union Canal, Wendover Woods and Lee Common all in the attractive area of the Chiltern Hills ... On completion, if your answers to questions in it are verified as correct, you will be sent, free of charge, a certificate and a badge (while stocks last).' (Note also the 15 mile version.)
Recently Added Listings
- *Ordnance Survey GetOutsideCategory: Across the UK
- Peak District Boundary WalkCategory: High PeakDistance (miles): 190
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- >>> ALL Listings