'Canals and rivers offer accessible walking routes at all times of year. Aside from lock flights, your path is level and there’s little chance of getting lost! The unfolding scenery of a canal-side stroll also takes some beating. Where else could you find such a mix of wildlife, architecture, countryside and of course, the thing that brings it all to life, narrowboats.'
'In this comprehensive guide to waterway pubs, you will find: Pubs that are canal or riverside or a short walk within the waterway corridor; Pubs on waterway cruising rings; Many pubs included that are not shown in other canal and waterway pub guides; A developing photo reference of every pub; Pubs that are on or near waterways abandoned or under restoration.'
'Almost every British canal, whether navigable, derelict or under restoration is described here. Many river navigations (including all of the Norfolk Broads waterways) are also included.Each waterway also has a detailed description of its route. Where possible, we have included up to date instructions on where to find interesting features along the waterway. Brief descriptions on how to reach these features are often included.'
Peter Hardcastle | CanalRoutes.org
'There are over 2,000 miles of canals and rivers meandering every contour of England, Wales and Scotland. An unhurried parallel world, where you can completely switch off, ditch the daily grind and discover the slowest treasures of beautiful Britain. Go for a walk, a bike ride with the kids, a day out in the open air or have fun simply messing about in boats. '
'Pennine Waterways is an independent non-profit-making website about the canals of the area ... Pennine Waterways is not connected with The Canal and River Trust (or the former British Waterways) and has no responsibility for the maintenance of canals or towpaths. I cannot provide information about moorings. Please do not email me about canal or towpath maintenance or about moorings ...'
'Walking along a canal path can give you a completely different view on a place, even somewhere you know well. Enjoy well maintained paths and a traffic free atmosphere, ideal whether you choose to run or walk.'
The 'Full A-Z Listing' provides for each Canal its Name, Navigation Authority (if any), and its (boat navigation) Status: Derelict, Open, Partly Open, Proposed Restoration, Restoration Proposed, Restored, Semi-Navigable, Under Restoration.
Newton Poppleford, East Devon
'The East Devon Way, one of the County's long-distance recreational walking routes, stretches for nearly 40 miles between Exmouth and Lyme Regis inland of and parallel to the South West Coast Path. There are a number of places where the two can be linked, thus creating a series of long-distance circular walks throughout East Devon ...'
Granary Wharf, Leeds & Liverpool Canal, Leeds
'The idea behind the Airedale Way is that it provides a link between Leeds and the Yorkshire Dales by following, as far as possible, riverside paths.'
The Airedale Way by Douglas Cossar
Great Yarmouth Railway Station, Great Yarmouth
'Walking trail following the county boundary of Norfolk and Suffolk, gently meandering from Great Yarmouth through to Thetford.'
'Long-distance walking route following the river Annan from source to sea ... The Annandale Way has been designed to be achievable in 4 to 5 days, with overnight stops envisaged in small market towns and villages: Moffat; Johnstonebridge / Annandale Estate; Lochmaben or Lockerbie and Annan. There is also the option of doing a shorter 2 or 3 day circuit or day walks by using local public transport.'
Sulwath Connections Landscape Partnership
Gwuanceste Hill, near Builth Wells, Brecknockshire
'Following the River Arrow from its source in the uplands of Powys, descending through Herefordshire hill country via Newchurch to Kington, and finally, through black and white villages of Pembridge and Eardisland to Leominster.'
Printed Guide available from Ramblers Mortimer Group
Aveton Gifford, South Hams
'Downstream from Aveton Gifford, the river Avon winds through its beautiful and secluded valley to the sea. This fine walk traces its course, and you are rarely out of sight of the river, or its rich birdlife.'
Around and About Eckington and Pershore, Wychavon
'Riverside walks never fail to be interesting, as rivers are havens for wildlife of all sorts and anything could drift past. Colourful narrowboats, shy waterbirds, the splash of a fish, eerie reeds as they sway in the breeze, if you stay alert all sorts of sights and sounds will delight you. These two fully waymarked walks along the River Avon will not disappoint, whatever time of year you visit. There are no stiles to negotiate on either walk.' Note that the URL originally used here has been replaced by another.
Salisbury Cathedral Close, Salisbury
'Long-distance walking route that takes you from Salisbury – one of the most beautiful cathedral cities in England – to Christchurch Priory and the sea. It was opened in 1992 and runs from Wiltshire due south through Hampshire to finish in Dorset. The Path is named after the river whose course it follows.'
Bewdley, Wyre Forest
'Gives you the opportunity to explore the Severn Valley by following the route of the river Severn four miles upstream from Bewdley to the hidden gem that is Upper Arley village. The return leg offers the opportunity to return to Bewdley; either under your own steam by walking back along the opposite bank of the river or by steam power utilising the historic Severn Valley Railway.'
Gas Street Basin, Birmingham
Bishop's Stortford, East Hertfordshire
'This is a linear walk along the scenic River Stort from Bishop’s Stortford to Harlow and returning by bus.'
Rowhill Nature Reserve, Aldershot, Rushmoor
'Follows the River Blackwater from its source in Rowhill Nature Reserve to Swallowfield, where it joins the River Whitewater to become the Broadwater for a short stretch before flowing into the River Loddon.'
Macclesfield Riverside Park, Tytherington, Cheshire East
'Recreational path shadowing the course of the River Bollin. The route starts at Macclesfield Riverside Park and finishes in Partington giving walkers a feel of the valley's variety. It takes in fields and woodlands, towns and villages, passes around Manchester Airport and ends up in the industrial area near the Manchester Ship Canal.'
Bollin Valley Way [GPS Cycle & Walking Routes]
The Haven, Boston
'Follows some of the waterways of Boston including The Haven, the Hobhole drain and the Maud Foster drain, as well as passing through two nature reserves (Havenside and Hobhole Bank). A great walk to see a variety of wildlife. The walk uses drain and river side paths which may be muddy in places.'
'The area around the Caledonian Canal is superb walking country. With breathtaking scenery and so much wildlife, there is always something to enjoy. Take a relaxing stroll along the towpath, hike the Great Glen Way long distance route, or climb Britain's highest mountain. Watch the Great Glen Ways video and you will be persuaded!'
The Caledonian Canal Walks [Explore Inverness]
'Explore the glorious countryside near the Lancaster Canal'
Lancashire County Council, Lancaster City Council and the Lune Valley Initiative
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings