Long Distance Walkers Association
'Click on the List of Paths link to view a list of the LDPs known to us. We have over 1,300 routes with details "available online" on this site and more are being added so you may find it easier to use the search facilities ...'
The UK Trailwalker's Handbook [Cicerone]
'The LDWA is an Association of people with the common interest of walking long distances in rural, mountainous or moorland areas. By joining the LDWA, you will meet other like-minded long distance walkers and gain access to information on walking events and long distance walking routes all over the UK.'
'Greetings fellow walkers and welcome to BBN. Our group covers the three counties of Beds, Bucks and Northants, a large geographical area with a wide range of landscapes both natural and altered by man. The Chilterns have great views in all directions and some short but steep "ups". We offer two Challenge walks each year to entice you to our part of England and Social walks on most Thursdays and Sundays. Do come and join us - you can be sure of a warm welcome AND a good walk.'
Around and About, Calderdale
'The Group on the West Yorkshire border with Lancashire are from a catchment area with the postcodes HX & OL14 and have a programme of social walks which is published in Strider ... Prospective members of the LDWA are welcome to join one of the social walks for a trial period, but should be aware that walks are around 20 miles at a reasonable pace and that it is advisable to make contact with the Leader beforehand to confirm details. All walks are to the strength of the slowest walker.'
Cleveland, Redcar & Cleveland
'Established since 1982, we are a friendly bunch who welcome new members and visitors alike. We have been doing one social walk each month; however from 2012 we will be doing two walks a month, one of which will be a shorter walk around 16 miles ... We walk on the Cleveland Hills, North Yorkshire Moors, Yorkshire & Durham Dales, Coast and the Lake District.'
'Our first group walk was held on 23rd March 1980, since then we must have collectively walked many thousands of miles and are still going strong! ... You will find our walks programme on this website. It is also published in the LDWA national magazine Strider, on the national LDWA website and in our own group magazine "Footnotes".'
'We are a small group numerically but are favoured by easy access to vast areas of magnificent countryside. Most of the members live in or around Carlisle, Keswick and Penrith so our walks usually feature the Lake District, Northern Pennines and Border Country. Currently we have a monthly social walk at which LDWA members and their guests are guaranteed to receive a friendly welcome. We are also pleased to welcome any non-LDWA members interested in learning more about us and the Association. It is suggested that anyone wishing to join one of our walks should contact the Walk Leader or Walks Secretary before the walk to confirm details ...'
'The Dorset Group of the LDWA was founded in 1993. The Group organises regular social walks nd two challenge walks each year, one being the Dorset Doddle, a 32 mile walk along the coastal path from Weymouth to Swanage.'
'Our main social walks are at the weekend, normally a Sunday, and these average twenty miles in length. This would take about eight hours to complete and all walkers need to carry enough food and drink to last the day. We like to visit different areas eg the West Pennine Moors, Lune Valley, Yorkshire Dales etc ...'
'If you look in our calendar, you will see some of the events organized by our Group. Only members of the LDWA are automatically allowed to participate in our social walks but, by arrangement, we welcome visitors who are not members. As our name implies, we cover substantial distances on our walks and maintain a brisk pace across country using footpaths that may not be as well maintained as we would wish.'
'The Heart of Scotland Group of the Long Distance Walkers Association arranges walks roughly in the area of Perth & Kinross, Fife, Angus, Tayside and Stirling ... LDWA members and friends, whether from the area or not, are warmly invited to come on the walks.'
Around and About, Isle of Wight
'The IOW LDWA Group was re-formed in April 2013 after a seventeen-year lapse ... A wide variety of coastal and inland walks have now been established to attract walkers of all ages. Distances from 10 to 73 miles are covered, and a 24 hour round-the-island walk is programmed each year for the same day (and direction) as the Round the Island Yacht Race.'
'Lincolnshire Group are drawn from a catchment area with the postcodes DN, LN, PE, LH13, NG31,32,33,&34. and have a varied programme of social walks which is published in Strider. Any member of the LDWA can walk with the Group and can if they wish elect to have Lincolnshire as the Group of their choice. Prospective members of the LDWA are welcome to join one of the social walks for a trial period, but should be aware that walks are around 20 miles at a reasonable pace and that it is advisable to make contact with the leader beforehand to confirm details.'
'Join us for 20 mile day walks with a pub lunch in the country a train ride from London.'
[From the History of the Group] 'London Group? "After talking to several members in the London area it appears there may be scope for a London group. That does not mean walks around Piccadilly Circus, Big Ben and Waterloo Station. The idea would be to form a local group from members in the London region to walk, basically, wherever they want to. There is in fact a great deal of countryside around London, and considerably more just beyond. If anyone is interested please contact ...".
'We are a new (September 2015), but very enthusiastic group, serving a relatively large area of Northern Scotland, centred roughly between Inverness and Aberdeen and reaching down through the Cairngorm National Park to the northern borders of our sister group Heart of Scotland.'
'We are a friendly bunch who gather at least twice a month to tramp over the moors, dawdle in the dales or even cruise the coast from time to time. Our emphasis is on sociable walks and our enterprising walk leaders aim to cover the diversity of Yorkshire’s scenery often using little-known paths. Why not give us a try?'
North East Region, England
'Caters for many kinds of walking, from an organised challenge event to informal strolls. The only criterion is that all walks should be enjoyable, provide friendship, exercise and stimulation for the body and mind.'
Where do we walk? 'Anywhere in South Wales and adjacent areas. We are indeed fortunate in covering an extremely varied area of countryside extending from the Wye Valley in the east, through to the Gower Peninsular in the west; this, of course, includes the Brecon Beacons National park and all the other mountains, valleys, coastal and farmland areas in between.'
'We organise walks and events in East and West Sussex - and occasionally further afield. Walks vary in length but are normally between 15 and 25 miles, depending upon the season. They offer a challenge and the opportunity to explore new areas and meet new people. You are most welcome to join any walk in the programme.'
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings