Blackburn with Darwen
'The Class was formed in 1895 and we are now in our 120th season. We are likely to be the oldest walking club in the country to have maintained a continuous annual walking programme. We were originally establshed as an educational class, but we now run as a walking club offering a variety of walks from 6 to 9 miles in length.'
'Blackburn and Darwen sits at the heart of Lancashire's Hill Country. Here you can experience the dramatic moorland, tranquil reservoirs, traditional farmland and wooded valleys. The area is a haven for wildlife and an early morning walk will often reveal a surprise in the hedgerows and woodland areas. The terrain is ideal for both short rambles and serious expeditions. The countryside provides the ideal opportunity to take life at your own pace and enjoy the great outdoors.'
Walks, cycle routes, events and family activities [Blackburn with Darwen Council]
'Comprises of 480 acres of beautiful mixed woodland, parkland, amenity grassland and farmland ... The Beamers Trail a six mile circular walk begins in the park. This is one of the walks that make up the Witton Weavers Way, a thirty-two mile borough-wide walk.'
Latest Dates 4-19 June 2016.
'Discover Blackburn and Darwen's incredible history when cotton was king and weaving was big business. Self-guided Heritage Town Trails will help you explore the borough from a new perspective, revealing the stories behind of some of Blackburn and Darwen's historic buildings and taking you back to a time when the town was "the weaving capital of the world".'
'A five mile walk, taking in the countryside and moorland around Chapeltown, Turton Bottoms and Turton itself.'
Listed Buildings in North Turton [Wikipedia]
'Wainwright's Way is a journey on foot through Alfred Wainwright's life from Lancashire to the Lakes. This walking guide charts a 126 mile long-distance route linking the place where he was born – a Victorian terraced house in Audley Range, Blackburn – with his final resting place on Haystacks, his heavenly corner of Lakeland.'
'Along the way you'll be exploring Lancashire's history, passing weavers cottages, Tudor halls, Victorian estates, historic villages and even Roman roads.'
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings