Around and About, Colchester
'We have an active walks programme throughout the year with walks on both Wednesdays and Sundays. During the summer we also have Friday evening walks to gently ease you into the weekend.'
'This guide is designed to allow visitors and residents to enjoy the large number of footpaths that exist in and around the historic village of Dedham, in north-east Essex. Many of the views that you will see have been immortalised in the pictures of John Constable RA, who lived in the neighbouring village of East Bergholt, and attended school in Dedham ... '
Around and About, Colchester
'Led by fully trained volunteer walk leaders our Walks are an ideal way to improve fitness or mobility in a sociable atmosphere and are held in a regular fortnightly pattern on alternate Fridays and Sundays throughout the year ... Free tea or coffee available afterwards. Stout footwear advisable.'
The Half But Innt, Great Horkesley, Colchester
'The Camuplodunum was conceived in 1974 by Derek Keeble as a 25 mile, long distance route around Colchester's town boundary to be used as a training ground for his then favourite pastime, orienteering. On the one hand it retains its original objective as a complete long distance path. On the other hand it has been broken down into sixteen short sections between Colchester's radial bus routes for the less adventurous. Whichever way you prefer to enjoy its varied route, Colchester Ramblers hope that you share Derek's undying enthusiasm for our surrounding countryside. '
Marks Tey, Colchester
'Walk from Station to Station with our useful guides ... The Gainsborough Line is the marketing name of the Sudbury Branch Line, a single track railway line running through the rural area between Sudbury and Marks Tey in England. Prior to the Beeching Axe the line, known as the Stour Valley Railway also served Cambridge, Long Melford, Clare and Haverhill.'
Circular walk around Chappel including visiting Chalkney Wood which holds 'a wide variety of wildlife including deer, badgers and over 30 species of breeding birds. The plant and and insect communities include a number of rare species'.
West Mersea, Colchester
'This is a simple walk around Mersea Island. The northern half is quiet, mostly along the sea wall, with tidal flats on one side and farm land on the other. The southern half is mostly along the beach, with the Blackwater Estuary on the left and beach huts and chalets on shore. Keep an eye on the tide - in some places, when the tide comes in the beach disappears completely and you need to be on the sea wall or you could be in trouble.'
'Regular footpath walks are held on the second Sunday of each month, starting at the Centre, Church Road at 2pm summer / 1pm winter. Details of the route are displayed on the Parish Council window and on the notice board.Tiptree Parish Council are in the process of producing a series of Circular Walks of varying lengths ...'
Around and About, Colchester
Walk Colchester is 'a green community mapping initiative. Its main aims are to record and protect Colchester’s paths, parks, woodland and open spaces, and to promote enjoyable, accessible, informed pedestrianism for walkers of all ages and abilities'.
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings