The Gower Peninsula, Swansea
'Gower was the first place in Britain to be named an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. With cliffs and woodlands ringed by sparkling beaches, this tongue of land is so adored by walkers, birdwatchers, sunbathers and surfers, it’s been scooping awards ever since.'
This is Gower Audio Trail [Audio Trails]
Gower Peninsula, Swansea
'There are a total of 24 individual commons on Gower covering over 70 square kilometres and constituting 50% of the total land area of the Gower Peninsula ... Historically, most areas of common land in Wales have been open for public access with the consent of the landowner. In May 2005 the Countryside Rights of Way Act (CRoW) established common land, mountain, moor, heath and down as open access land where people can walk in some of the most spectacular landscapes in Wales. These areas are clearly marked on Ordnance Survey Explorer Maps.'
The Gower, Swansea
'It is with much regret that the Gower Walking Festival Association's (GWFA) committee has to announce that this year's festival will not go ahead . The loss of key members of the organising committee due to illness and changes in personal circumstances has meant that insufficient volunteers remain to guarantee the delivery of a safe festival. Nobody can feel more sorry about this than the GWFA committee members ... We have every reason to hope that the festival will return in 2016, stronger and more varied than ever ...'
Community of Mawr, Swansea
'Formed in March 2005 by the Mawr Development Trust when trust member, Terry Davies, was handed the task of encouraging local communities to take part in planned walks throughout south and west Wales. The club now has more than 250 members and some 40 members regularly turn up to each walk ... The Lliw Walking Club was formed in June 2016. It has replaced the Mawr Walking Club which was formed in 2005. The renaming was necessary due to unforseen circumstances. It is just the name that has changed.'
Around and About, Swansea
'We are open to anyone who enjoys walking, and/or cycling and generally enjoys being active outdoors. Non-members are welcome to come along to up to three walks or other events before paying any membership fees. If you've been on a few walks, we would like you to join us. You must be a member to participate in any of our overnight trips.'
Around and About, Swansea
'Formed in 2005 the Tawe Trekkers are a hiking group for the younger (18+) and adventurous person in the South-West Wales area (Carmarthenshire, Swansea, Neath Port-Talbot and Bridgend). We love exploring the local coastline and countryside, and also go on the odd trip around the UK and Europe now and again. Not your typical mittens-and-thermos-clad, compass toting walkers, but a friendly bunch who like a laugh (and a few beers), and take everything in their stride ...'
Around and About, Swansea
'By foot or on two wheels are amongst the best ways to get to know Swansea Bay. Coast and country are at your fingertips (or toe-tips depending on which way you look at it) and here are some great ways to get exploring ...'
Described in three sections (with one more to follow): Glamorgan Coast 1 - Gower, Loughor to Mumbles - 52 miles; Glamorgan Coast 2 - to follow (Mumbles to Porthcawl); Glamorgan Coast 3 - Porthcawl to Barry Island - 30 miles; Glamorgan Coast 4 - Barry Island to Cardiff - 11 miles.
Bruce McDonald Glamorgan Walks
Worms Head, Rhossili, Swansea
'It was always designed to take the walker away from the more popular coastal areas and to introduce the quieter but no less interesting aspects of inland Gower. At 56 km length, the route extends from Worms Head Rhossili across the lordship of Gower to Penlle'r Castell high on Mynydd y Gwair.'
'On the northern fringe of Swansea, and within sight of the M4 motorway, lies Penllergare Valley Woods. It is a secret and magical place. A place where you can enjoy the sound of birds, delight in the profusion of wild flowers, discover evidence of exotic plantings and uncover for yourself the hidden features of a grand design ...'
Penllergare Valley Woods [City and County of Swansea]
St David's Quadrant, Swansea
'The "lovely, ugly town "of Swansea is the birthplace of Dylan Marlais Thomas, one of the most famous poets writing in the English language in the Western World during the twentieth century ... Because of its industrial importance, the city was heavily bombed during the Second World War and Dylan wrote a short story "Return Journey" in which he bemoans the loss of the town that he turned his back on in his youth ... '
Around and About, Swansea
'There’s no better way of discovering the very special countryside of Swansea Bay than by making use of the area's excellent bus network to access some superb walking routes.'
Access here to PDFs of ten Coast Walks. There is also a series of eight Country Walks.
'Constructed 1794-1798 by the Swansea Canal Navigation Company, the canal rose 375 feet through 36 locks from sea level at Swansea up the valley to Abercraf. Built to carry coal down to industries in the Lower Swansea Valley and for export, this new link to the sea enabled development all along the valley of industries and the towns we know today.'
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings