'These walks explore Pugneys Country Park, which is a former open cast mine and the surrounding area which is steeped in history - including findings from the Mesolithic people, a medieval road and the place where Richard of York died.'
Pugneys Watersports Centre and Country Park [Wakefield Council]
'It's the club for people who believe there's more to life than watching telly but don't want to dedicate their spare time to a single activity. The focus of the group though is walking. Walks range from the really gentle poddle to more strenuous long distance walks. But we don't just walk ...'
'Walking routes - half hour ... Walking routes - 1 hour ... Longer walks ... Walks with buggies ... Walks with wheelchairs ... Wakefield health walks ... Public Rights of Way online map'
'Formed over 30 years ago and now has over 250 members. The Group welcomes new members to come along and join our walks. Walking boots, waterproofs and a packed lunch are required for all but the local evening walks ...'
'We have over 100 members of all ages and abilities who enjoy walking in the countryside. These walks are open to all women in the surrounding areas of Wakefield.'
'Crossing 3 counties (West Yorkshire, South Yorkshire and Derbyshire), the Cal-Der-Went walk links the rivers Calder with the Derwent and was devised by Geoffrey Carr in the 1970s.'
The Cal-Der-Went Walk by John Merrill (The John Merrill Foundation, 2014)
'The navigation, which is part-canal and part-river, connects the Yorkshire and Pennine canals, and provides easy access for walking in the Pennines. Canal enthusiasts will appreciate the unusual waterways architecture, including quirky lever-operated locks.'
'Comprises a series of countryside sites less than a mile from Wakefield City Centre. The individual areas stretch from Stanley Ferry Flash in the north, through Parkhill and the Southern Washlands Nature Reserve, to Half Moon and the Ashfields in the south.'
Rights of Way Map 'Information displayed when a link is followed is taken from our definitive map which forms the legal record of public rights of way ... The information provided on The Wakefield District Public Rights of Way Map is provided for information purposes only. You should not rely upon it when you make, or refrain from making, any decision or when you take, or refrain from taking, any action.'
'Circular walking route around the Wakefield Metropolitan District, visiting Wintersett Reservoir, Newmillerdam, Woolley, Bretton Hall, Bank Wood, Horbury Bridge, River Calder, Gawthorpe, Bottom Boat, Stanley Ferry, Aire & Calder Navigation Canal, Pontefract Park and East Hardwick.' Ramblers Routes has accessible for Members descriptions of 5 mile or so chunks of the Way. Also the original Link used here seems to have disappeared; so I have replaced it with a Ramblers Yorkshire description of a 'revival' of the Way.
Wakefield Way Douglas Cossar (Ramblers' Association, West Riding Area, 2005)
'There are usually at least 60 sculptures in the landscape for you to see as well as special exhibitions and projects in the galleries and outdoors. Displays change throughout the year so call ahead if you plan to see something in particular.'
You will probably need four hours to 'explore the furthest reaches of the Estate and sculpture displays'.
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings