'Rapid growth in Birkenhead's population made it necessary for the provision of a municipal cemetery ... The site chosen was Flaybrick Hill, a prominent location outside of Birkenhead overlooked by Bidston Hill. 16.5 acres were purchased but this was extended to 26 acres in the 1890s.'
'The Gardens are open every day until 6pm, for pedestrian access only. Visitors are welcome to use the ajacent Tam O'Shanter complex for car parking, Cafeteria and toilet facilities. Guided walks and other event details may be found on the notice board by the main gates. Copies of the leaflet, self guide trails and further information are available from the Ranger's Office at Tam O Shanter Farm.'
'The Islands are cut off from the mainland by the tide for up to 5 hours out of every 12 hours. When planning your journey you must find out the time of high water and allow sufficient time to complete your visit to the islands and your return journey to West Kirby safely. It is possible to visit the islands over high water, in which case allow for a stay of at least 5 hours whilst the tide is in, or alternatively, you can walk there and back over one low water period.'
Hilbre Islands Nature Reserve [Wirral Council]
'With its unique location, there are so many ways to explore the undulating countryside, exceptional landscapes and dramatic coastline of Wirral - there are some great walks for walkers of all abilities.'
'This Wirral-wide annual event is aimed at introducing people to parts of Wirral that they have never visited and will "showcase’" Wirral Peninsula as one of the most diverse and interesting places in the country to live and visit. If you prefer to explore Wirral on your own then please have a look at the Self-Guided Trails.' Latest Dates 1-25 May 2016.
'Objective was to create a reasonably long walking trail that would take ramblers through some of the most attractive parts of the Mid-Wirral peninsula and, at the same time, keep road-walking down to a minimum.'
'The Heritage Trail has been put together to allow people to explore Bidston Hill and its heritage for themselves. Follow the trail using the map and the numbered marker posts. Look out for the blue Heritage Trail markers, and the black and white QR code plaques. If you have a smartphone, you can use a QR reader app to bring up the matching Heritage Trail web page in your browser.'
'The route follows the River Dee along the Welsh or English sides of its estuary, through the historic city of Chester, the borderlands, Llangollen and the stunning Dee Valley, passing beautiful Llyn Tegid at Y Bala to the river's source in the mountains of southern Snowdonia.'
'A voyage of discovery taking in the coastline, the history, the heritage and the rural countryside of this glorious peninsula.'
'The Rotary Club of North Wirral organised the first Wirral Coastal Walk in 1986. From the humble beginnings of a few hundred walkers, it has grown to become a well-known annual event in the Wirral calendar and probably the biggest of its kind in the North West. In 2013 over 3,000 walkers participated and raised an estimated £300,000 for local, national and international charities.' Latest Date 12 June 2016.
'The Wirral is unique in that it is fortunate to have the Wirral Way which incorporates the Wirral Country Park, a stunning stretch of 12.2 miles that runs from West Kirby all the way to Hooton in Chester The Wirral Way itself is the old disused railway line that has now been turned into a stunning coastal path running along the Wirral Peninsular.'
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings