'Surrounding a private 18th century country estate house Ardwell Gardens is a naturally unspoilt and idyllic location, around 10 miles south of Stranraer with beautiful views over Luce Bay.'
Eastpark Farm, Caerlaverock, Dumfriesshire
'A rugged and beautiful destination offering open space and tranquil wildlife watching. Wander through wildflower meadows spotting orchids, butterflies and dragonflies, or see our winter migration spectacle.'
Drumlanrig Castle, Dumfriesshire
'You'll find walks to keep your whole family happy in the grounds at Drumlanrig Castle. There are several way-marked trails, ranging from 1.5km to 7km that follow the original paths built during the Victorian era. They will lead you through a variety of habitats and features that make Drumlanrig so unique. See if you can spot one of our red squirrels while you're enjoying the outdoor life ... '
'Moffat, Scotland's first "Walkers are Welcome town" and the surrounding Moffat hills present a haven for walkers of all abilities. The clean Scottish air, stunning scenery and timeless beauty is awe inspiring. Whether for a day's hiking or a short stroll in unspoilt countryside, Moffat is the perfect place to experience a truly memorable walking holiday.'
Throughout the course of the weekend the Muckle Toon Adventure Festival offers a series of walks in and around the town of Langholm accompanied by our charismatic and informative local guides. Surrounded by beautiful open moorland, babbling burns and romantic woodlands, the walking series will most definitely have something for all recreational hikers ...' Held Mid June.
'Annan's location on the Solway Firth has always been of great importance - today it is the site of the Annan Shore Walk '
The Walking Booklet: 'The Royal Burgh of Annan has a long colourful history, and these walks explore the history of the area as well as the rich countryside around the town. The walks take you along peaceful riverbanks, through woods and along the edge of the Solway Firth.'
'Long-distance walking route following the river Annan from source to sea ... The Annandale Way has been designed to be achievable in 4 to 5 days, with overnight stops envisaged in small market towns and villages: Moffat; Johnstonebridge / Annandale Estate; Lochmaben or Lockerbie and Annan. There is also the option of doing a shorter 2 or 3 day circuit or day walks by using local public transport.'
Sulwath Connections Landscape Partnership
'This is said to be an excellent feat of engineering by the Romans as there are lengthy cuttings and terraces where the bedrock has been exposed and used as the road surface ... Craik Cross Hill is fascinating because it was a Roman Watch Tower but then was reused with a cross marker stone on the hill. This may have been a route pilgrims used to get to Whithorn and so the cross would have been a sign to guide people there ...'
Craik Cross Hill [WalkLakes]
Around and About Dumfries, Dumfriesshire
'Journey back 700 years to the Wars of Independence and see Dumfries and Galloway through the eyes of Scotland's greatest King ... All the places in south west Scotland's Dumfries and Galloway region which have strong connections with Bruce whose family home for centuries was in Annandale, first at Annan and later at Lochmaben.'
Forest of Ae, Dumfriesshire
'Follows old Roman roads, forest tracks, drove roads and short sections of quiet lane through the heart of notorious Reivers country, providing enjoyable walking, cycling and riding through the Southern Uplands. It is mainly through sheltered woodland and forestry, with some sections through more open farmland.'
'Cross-country walk between Moffat in South Central Scotland to Cockburnspath on the South East Scottish Coastline. It runs through lowland valleys, by lochs and reservoirs, alongside the River Tweed and its tributaries, over several significant Borderland hills and through communities steeped in history and interest.'
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings