'Extending to 830 acres of publicly accessible countryside the Park has a wild and rugged aspect that you do not expect to find so close to the city with dramatic rocky outcrops and gnarled old oak trees, many of which are well over 500 years old ...'
Access PDFs of about a score of walks around and about Charnwood; also a number of related documents.
Walking For Health [Charnwood Borough Council]
'We are a friendly group of people who enjoy walking in the local countryside. Rambles are held every Saturday, usually starting at 10.30 am prompt ... The rambles are generally within 30 minutes of LOUGHBOROUGH by car and are between 5 & 8 miles. Usually we walk at 2 miles per hour, we want to enjoy the views ...' Unfortunately the original Website cited here seems to have disappeared.
'This walk takes you to the four peaks that define Charnwood Forest. Along the way you will pass the oldest rocks in Britain, visit historic deer parks and take in some spectacular views. Charnwood Forest is famed for its craggy hills and dry stone walls, but is also rich in wildlife. Look out for buzzards circling on the updrafts from the hills.'
'The Great Central Railway line nestles in the beautiful Leicestershire countryside between Charnwood Forest and the Wolds. Walks form the line are gentle and can be completed in a couple of hours, give or take the odd pub break! There are some gentle climbs but for the most part a pair of walking boots or sturdy shoes should get you through. The GCR publishes a detailed guide of the walks ... to assist you and is available from the Shop at Loughborough Central.'
'To mark the centenary of the Association members devised a walk of 100 miles around Leicestershire and called it "The Leicestershire Round".'
'This walk takes in the historic buildings and other places of interest within Loughborough town centre. It guides you around the town using dropped kerbs and pedestrian crossings where possible. Accessible to all, the route takes approximately one hour to complete, but you may want to stop off for a picnic on the way!'
'All about walking: walking around the village, walking to neighbouring villages. Oh, and walking to the pub ... We organise occasional public Parish Walks each year - everyone is welcome to come along.'
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings