South-East Region England
'This website is a guide for people who love to walk, to observe and enjoy our incredible countryside (and townscapes too) at a leisurely speed, and who like to read a little of the story behind the places they visit. Distances vary from a soothing 1.5km (1 mile) to a bone-shattering 32 km (20 miles) ...
'Fancy Free Walks is a totally non-profit-making organisation dedicated to the public good. It has no finance and all the work in planning and authoring the walks, and in maintaining this site is voluntary and unpaid ...'
'This site documents some Great British walks providing route details, maps, pubs, features and folklore. Although predominately focused on Norfolk and Suffolk, there are walks from a wide selection of other regions.'
'Oliver's Cornwall has recently undergone major changes. Increasingly, my visitors are looking for walks. So I have created Oliver's Cornwall Walking Pages, with pages for the Coast Path, Coastal Round Walks, Inland Trails, Coast-to-Coast Trails and Country and Moorland Walking.'
'Welcome to my website. My name is Tim Bertuchi and one of my favourite pastimes is walking / hiking and most of the current content of the site can be found in the Walking section which has photos and descriptions of the walks I have done ...'
'With around 25,000 visits each day, this is the most popular free content web site for walking in Great Britain on the Internet. There are reports of all the walks covered with full statistics and all with complimentary pictures'
'Thousands of FREE walks to download. So, near home or on holiday there will be a great walk for you! Every County gives you: Free walk descriptions to download; Ordnance Survey maps for the County; All the walking clubs in the county.'
'Welcome to my walking diary, which I started in January 2013 in order to store memories and revisit happy days spent on the fells and elsewhere ...' Includes a brief description of the walk, (delightful) photographs, and a route map for - so far - some 250 walks, concentrating on the Lake District, North Yorks and East Yorks, but with some walks elsewhere.
'Hi. I like walking in the UK and from 2001 onwards I have been busy trying to do as many National Trails, LDPs, Regional Routes and Local walks as possible. Occasionally a mountain climb, or cycle ride gets chucked into the mix and I will bung the details up on my site - the general tone involves mockney and some self deprication!'
Yorkshire and the Humber Region
'Designed to bring you shorter, more achievable walks than the ones you’ll see on a lot of websites. Ones you can enjoy with friends and family or with your partner and that will take a couple of hours or less. As well as routes and maps, we’ll put reports on and photos of the walks we’ve done and maybe they’ll inspire you to get out and about too. Get some exercise! Clear out the cobwebs! You’re bound to have a lovely time and who knows… maybe in no time you’ll love a casual ramble as much as we do ...'
'From East Yorkshire's Wolds and Derbyshire's Peak District to the North Yorkshire Moors and Pennines, you will find the valleys among the rolling hills, the limestone scars, the gritstone ridges universally known as "Dales". This vast area provides some of the best & most varied walking opportunities in the country. Dales Trails gives you some ideas how to explore Yorkshire and other parts of Northern England on foot, and find hidden delights off the beaten track.'
Website 'derived from its French equivalent ( Visorando ). Here, walkers can choose among more than 900 selected walks and download a PDF for free, with precise descriptions and walking maps. We also developed some tools to let users create their own walks and get the pdf automatically. We encourage them to share their walks to the community'.
'We've devised 182 walks in Cornwall, ranging from 2 to 10 miles, totalling 865 miles. Each walk has a map of the route, detailed directions, photos and some information about the area. The walks are classified by length, steepness grade, type of scenery (coastal, moorland, riverside etc) and, of course, whether there's a pub.'
'The English Lake District is the most beautiful terrain I know. In 1990 I was fortunate to be able to come to live here permanently and walk the Lakeland fells to my heart's content. This site is dedicated to all those who explore the area on foot.'
'This is not the first website to describe walks on the UK's long distance footpaths, and it is certainly not the best. However many of the other websites are written by people who are super-fit - and men. I'm neither ...'
'I am walking around the coast of Great Britain, starting at Tower Bridge in London (that well known coastal resort) on Monday 6th April 2015 and walking anti-clockwise. This isn’t a world first as other people have done it before, although with so many islands, estuaries and no defined coastal path the whole way round, it’s difficult to be precise about anything. I have reckoned on taking one year and covering approximately 6000 miles.' On 13 June 2016, Lucy had reached Penzance, having walked so far a total of 2574 miles.
'This site has grown from the Walk Eryri website (that was established way back in 2004) and the author’s desire to create a home for all the excellent free walking routes created online by indy websites and other organisations. We intend to provide the UK’s largest single database of mapped and fully explained free routes, not just some route plot with a sentence, with a route plotter to follow ...'
'Per-Rambulations looks for ways that go beyond mere mileage. Walking is more than a way to go between two points as quickly as possible. It is important to "see" the countryside rather than just looking at it. If we were to have a "mission statement" the nearest we would admit to is the last verse of W H Davies' poem Leisure "A poor life this if, full of care, We have no time to stand and stare".'
Recently Added Listings
- *Sherpa ExpeditionsCategory: Across the UK
- *EasyWaysCategory: Scotland
- England Coast Path - Camber to FolkestoneCategory: KentDistance (miles): 29
- *HikideasCategory: Across the UK
- England Coast Path - Filey Brigg to North GareCategory: North YorkshireDistance (miles): 68
- Ullswater WayCategory: EdenDistance (miles): 20
- Two Roses WayCategory: LancashireDistance (miles): 96
- *Berkshire WalkersCategory: Berkshire
- *Medal Routes - Aberdeen CityCategory: City of Aberdeen
- *Lucy's Walk Around BritainCategory: Across the UK
- *Lancashire Parks & GardensCategory: Lancashire
- Scottish Coast-to-Coast WalkCategory: ArgyllshireDistance (miles): 128
- Tan Hill Inn WalkCategory: RichmondshireDistance (miles): 10
- *Dyrham ParkCategory: South GloucestershireSize (acreage): 270
- *Gazetteer for ScotlandCategory: Paths & Trails in UK Local Government
- Shropshire Countryside Access and Public Rights of WayCategory: Shropshire
- *Walking in CumbriaCategory: Cumbria
- *WithinWarwickshireCategory: Warwickshire
- Harlech Town History TrailCategory: Merioneth
- Craik Muir Roman RoadCategory: RoxburghshireDistance (miles): 8
- *Ramblers - Sussex AreaCategory: Sussex
- Jane Eyre Hathersage TrailCategory: Derbyshire DalesDistance (miles): 6
- *Crychan ForestCategory: Brecknockshire
- *Anglesey Walking HolidaysCategory: Anglesey
- *Creative Rural Communities 'Vale Trails'Category: Vale of Glamorgan
- Barrow Circle TrailCategory: West DorsetDistance (miles): 6
- St Birinus Pilgrimage Route: Churn Knob - DorchesterCategory: South OxfordshireDistance (miles): 11
- Tramway TrailCategory: Aylesbury ValeDistance (miles): 6
- *Langport Two Day Walking FestivalCategory: South Somerset
- *National Sculpture Trail DirectoryCategory: Across the UK
- *Milton Keynes CouncilCategory: Milton Keynes
- *Holy Ghost CemeteryCategory: Basingstoke & DeaneSize (acreage): 3
- *Hartsholme Country Park and Swanholme Lakes Local Nature ReserveCategory: LincolnSize (acreage): 200
- *Finlaystone Country EstateCategory: RenfrewshireSize (acreage): 140
- Public Rights of Way in RutlandCategory: Rutland
- Cuilcagh WayCategory: Fermanagh & OmaghDistance (miles): 20
- *Hook Common and Bartley HeathCategory: HartSize (acreage): 330
- *Kent Health WalksCategory: Kent
- *Monmouth - Walkers Are WelcomeCategory: Monmouthshire
- Up & Doon Guided WalksCategory: Scotland
- *Plymouth RamblersCategory: Plymouth
- Sandwood BayCategory: SutherlandDistance (miles): 8
- *Global Adventure ChallengesCategory: Across the UK
- Rhondda RollercoasterCategory: Rhondda Cynon TafDistance (miles): 27
- Leamington and Warwick Riverside WalkCategory: WarwickDistance (miles): 4
- Rogation Sunday Boundary WalkCategory: MaidstoneDistance (miles): 8
- Nottingham Architectural Ale TrailCategory: Nottingham
- *Britain's Best Accessible Woods and Nature TrailsCategory: Across the UK
- Along the River Valley to Earls ColneCategory: BraintreeDistance (miles): 6
- Roadway Arts Walking TrailCategory: RedditchDistance (miles): 2
- >>> ALL Listings