There are three types of Record in the Directory
- A-Z Records have as their Title the name of a path, trail etc (e.g. Great Stones Way) or of a related group of paths, trails etc (e.g. Wainwright Routes). Each of these Records is listed in the A-Z 'Index of Walks and Categories' which can be accessed at the top of each page.
- Asterisked Records have as their Title the name of an organization or related entity - with the Title immediately preceded by an asterisk or an asterisk and a space (e.g. *Walking For Health ). These Records do not appear in the A-Z
- Hashed Records have as their Title the name of an organization or related entity - with the Title preceded by a hash and a space (e.g. # Walking Englishman, The). These Records do not appear in the A-Z
When first created, each Record - 'A-Z' or 'Asterisked' or 'Hashed' - is first allocated to the relevant Country, English Region, Historic County, or Local Government District/Unitary Authority Category within the Section EXPLORE Walks all over the UK.
Each of the Asterisked and Hashed Records in the 'EXPLORE' Categories is then cross-referenced to one (or occasionally more) of the 'Organization' Categories: UK Local Government, Protected Areas, Visitor, Walker, Walking. There are a small number of Records which seemed worth adding to the Directory but which do not describe or list any walks etc. These have only been referenced in one of the generic 'Organization' Categories (as 'asterisked' Records), e.g. *Administrative Geography of the United Kingdom.
A third Section of the Categorization is being developed: Particular Types of Walks in the UK - which contains cross-references of (for the most part) A-Z Records having a particular focus: e.g. Canals and Rivers, Coastal Walks, Disused Railways etc.
SEARCH (top right) must be minimum of 3, maximum of 20 characters and searches all Records in the Directory
The system should search for one or more than one character string within all of these Fields across the whole Directory (occasionally it goes astray!):
- Category Title See the top left-hand column of each screen for the Categorization Headings I use.
- Title of the Record Whether the Title is of an 'A-Z' or an 'Asterisked' Record or a 'Hashed' Record (but do not try to use # in the search string)
- Where Walk Starts This is usually the District Council or Unitary Authority wherein is the START of a 'Walk'. Councils and Authorities and any other Organizations whose activities are entirely (or almost entirely) based in a specific Area naturally are also indexed using this Field. The text placed before the DC/UA in the Record (e.g. 'Salisbury Cathedral') is also matched by the search text. I have used the phrase 'Around and About' where it does not seem helpful to try to specify the exact start of a walk or walks OR where there are two or more different starting places.
- Description from (Usually) hyperlinked name of the external Organization or Person with (overall) responsibility for the information I have reproduced in my Entry
- Walks described here by Organizations describing or which are likely to describe several (groups of) walks referenced in the Directory (e.g. # Norfolk County Council) have their Entries indexed using this Field. (See the Category Walks Described By - The Major Sites Used Here for a current listing of these Organizations.) These Entries are the 'Hashed' Records and they appear first in any Listings of Entries - followed by any 'Asterisked' Records, and then the 'A-Z' Records
- See also The hyperlinked Titles of (Sections of) other Websites of interest and relevance, often together with the name of the person/organization responsible for the Websites
- County (Historic) Every Record - 'Walk' or 'Organization' - is indexed with the name of the County wherein it flourishes unless the walk or organization traverses County boundaries when this Field is not used and the appropriate Country/Region Field is usually used instead.
- Country/Region ('Across') This is one of the nine (historic) English Regions, OR one of All England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, OR the UK as a whole.
This allows more precise searches of the Directory, for instance using a combination of one or more elements in a number of drop-down Field lists. Note that the default is (Boolean) "and". It can be a good idea to press Reset before doing your Search (especially if you have already done an Advanced Search or used the 'Filter Listings' function during a particular session); but even so, the system will still occasionally go astray!
Browse using the Explore/Organization Categories, the A-Z at the top of the page, the breadcrumbs, the hyperlinks within each Record, or the All Listings/Filter function
The majority of Records fall naturally into one specific category of the 'EXPLORE Walks all over the UK' classification. A relatively small number of walks and organizations I have allocated to more than one category, rather than place them in the next higher level of the hierarchy; but this is the exception rather than the rule. This particularly since you can use the All Listings function to pull into one sequence the (primary) Records of a Category and any Sub-Categories it has. The resulting Listings can then be displayed Alphabetical or Most Visited or Recently Added; and you can Filter listings by one or a combination of hyperlinked elements.
The hyperlinks are in blue type (apart from the Title of each Record in the 'Brief' Title list or its Category Heading which are in green): clicking on a blue District Council/Unitary Authority ('Area where walk starts') or County (Historic) or Country/Region name can generate via the breadcrumbs lists in order of use so far in the Directory - which, at the least, might be found interesting. The first 100 Entries of the DC/UA Field should be reproduced as a tag cloud at the foot of a page of Listings - again in order of popularity. Click on 'Area where walk starts' in the breadcrumbs at the top of the page to see the complete set of Entries for his Field. Other tagged hyperlinked Fields whose popularity can be perused via the breadcrumbs are: Circular or Linear?, Longer distance range, Type of Walk / Website: see the Glossary for descriptions of their use.
If it seems likely to be helpful (or I just find it interesting) , there is some fuller information about each 'Walk' or 'Organization' in its 'Full' Record
Note especially that this further information is simply copied from the relevant Website (as is virtually all the other data in the Directory) and placed in 'single quotes'. You can check whether there is any further information of this type by clicking Print at the foot of the 'Brief' Record (or you can just hyperlink via its Title to the 'Full' Record).
If you want to send a Link to a Record to a friend or colleague ...
Click on Recommend at the foot of the appropriate Record.
If you need more details ...
Click on Glossary or About in the horizontal shaded bar at the top of the screen.