Poets, Priests & Pubs Walks - Cwmaman

'The first public house that was opened was the Shepherd's Arms in 1850 and this is still serving the public. Other pubs that opened subsequently included the Cwmneol Inn, the Globe Inn, the Ivy Bush Inn, the Mount Pleasant Inn and the Railway Inn. Places of worship were built almost in tact with the appearance of the pubs. The first was Moria Welsh Congregationalist Chapel, which opened in 1855, and was followed by Seion Welsh Baptist Chapel in 1859, Soar Welsh Presbyterian Chapel in1859, Bethel English Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1873, St. Joseph's Anglican Church in1881 and Trinity English Baptist Chapel in1901. The arrival of the English language places of worship is indicative of the influx of workers who were not from Wales, as was the case in the other valleys' towns ... '

Distance (miles)
8
Starting from
Cwmaman, , Rhondda Cynon Taf
Overview

'Cwmaman was a well-known coal-mining village which, at one time boasted several collieries. Until the 19th Century, Cwmaman was virtually uninhabited, with around 40 farm workers living in and around the community by 1841. By the end of the 1840s, the first coal pits were sunk and Cwmaman began to transform into a thriving industrial settlement ... ' ALERT Unfortunately, the Poets, Priests & Pubs Website seems no longer to be online.

Visits to the Website
630
Views of 'Full' Record
1521